16 May 2005
The Summer gathering and Wedding - Items to note
1. Due to overwhelming positive response to the Friday night at Muriel's proposal, I have given my credit card to them to cover the deposit. So those of you who said "yes" please send your dollar amounts ($83 per person) to me as soon as you can. I thank you and my wallet thanks you!
Mark H. Hilton
2. The reduced rate for rooms at the Hotel Monteleone goes away after May 20th. So those of you still planning to come to New Orleans call and make your reservations before then. Be sure to tell them that you are with the "Charlie Troop Reunion/Hilton-Anderson Wedding. 800/535-9595 or 504/523-3341.
2a. It is important that we have enough rooms to qualify for the hospitality suite that is set-aside for us during the week. If we have enough rooms then the suite is "comped" to us, if not then there will be a charge.
3. Taxi from the airport?? A taxi will cost $27 plus tip for 2 people. If there are 3 or more people the cost is $12 per person.
4. The airport shuttle is $12 each way per person. The shuttle booth is located near the baggage claim area at the airport. Return trip may be arranged at the Hotel tour desk.
5. The ubiquitous "Hotel Al" can also provide transportation from the airport. Hotel Al also operates tours of the surrounding area and sight seeing in the city. For those of you who are interested you may call me or email me and I will put you in touch with Hotel Al.
6. Though the evenings are booked with dinners and weddings - your days are free. There is nothing formal planned. You may want to go in groups or just by yourselves or you may just want to hang out at the Hotel pool. But here are some things that you may want to consider as you plan your day:
Swamp tour Bourbon street shenanigans
the Riverwalk Golf
Plantation tours Jackson Square
the Business district "Beignets" at Café du Monde
the French Market shopping along Canal Street
the University district River Boat cruises
VooDoo shops Cemetery tours
St. Louis Cathedral the Warehouse district
Anne Rice (Vampires) tour the D-Day Museum
Jazz Halls Cooking schools
Street Cars (find the one named "Desire") pass info available at the Concierge desk
Golf "Birdies on the Bayou"
PGA course named "Tournament Players Club"
7. Some Web sites for you to visit as you begin your planning:
Attractions - www.LouisianaAttractions.com
Museums - www.LouisianaMuseums.org
Golf - www.audubongolf.com
Fishing - 225/765-2800
Cooking - www.NOSOC.com
New Orleans School of Cooking
Louisiana General Store
8. YOU ALL GO AND HAVE FUN! WHILE YOU ARE OUT AND ABOUT, I WILL BE IN AN AIR CONDITIONED, POORLY LIGHTED BAR SOMEWHERE ON BOURBON STREET, SIPPING COLD BEER, LISTENING TO JAZZ, WATCHING THE WORLD GO BY AND SOAKING UP NEW ORLEANS ATMOSPHERE.
With warm regards to all,
Mark (Babysan), Kim, Ron & Belinda
April 26, 2005
Time is fleeting to get in on the soiree of the season. Please make your arrangements ASAP and let Mark know that you're coming. Below is the latest schedule of events. Note: Due to the obvious expense the wedding reception will be by ivitation only.
As many of you recover from the Thanksgiving Holidays with family and friends and before you are fully caught up in preparations for the Christmas Holidays, let me stir your imagination with thoughts of New Orleans next June.
This missive is aimed at both groups: the Reunion group and the wedding group and many of you will fit into both categories. The Hotel Monteleone will serve as the site for Reunion activities during the first part of the week and will also serve as the site of the both the wedding and the reception. You may begin to call now for your reservations. There are a block of rooms reserved for us under the name Charlie Troop Reunion / Hilton-Anderson Wedding. Those rooms are being held for us at a group rate of $99 per night. When calling to make your reservations please tell them that you want either a regular room with two double beds or a regular room with a king size bed. There are a few rooms that are designated as special access rooms for those of you who might need one.
For your planning purposes, the following is a general overview of the week. P. T. Barnum once said, to always leave em wanting more. So toward that end, this will be a short week. The city of New Orleans is so full of things to see and do that if you only stay for the period of time set aside for the reunion and wedding you will have barely scratched the surface. We are planning for the reunion folks to begin arriving on Wednesday the 15th of June. That evening, Thursday and Friday evenings will be reunion group events. The Wedding will be held at 7:00 pm on Saturday the 18th of June.
Thursday, Friday and Saturday days will be open for you to do things on your own or with others but there is nothing formal planned. Wedding folks will begin to arrive on Friday, but you are encouraged to come earlier to meet and mingle with the guys from the old Squadron and their families. They wont bite . well some of them may!
We expect most of you will begin to depart on Sunday. But hold this in mind we are planning a farewell breakfast on Sunday morning. Kim and I will be there to see and dine with you before you depart. We think that it will be somewhat buffet style in that we will select our choices, fill our trays in one room and then retire to another room entirely set aside for just us.
We are fortunate in having two wonderful people from the Hotel Monteleone to put things together for us. Lisa Thompson has arranged the hotel for us, set aside rooms and secured decent rates. Cheryl Carpenter has created a wedding scheme and reception plan that will appeal to everyone. Now there is a third Hotel Monteleone person that is delightfully unorthodox, intriguing, captivating and entertaining. This gentleman goes by the sobriquet of Hotel Al. Hotel Al has been employed at the Hotel Monteleone for a little over 100 years and now has the run of the place. Hotel Al will be of special importance to you for two major reasons: 1) he runs his own little tour company. For those of you wanting to see the town, swamps, river, various districts, various sites, etc. then Hotel Al can do it for you right from the convenience of the hotel at competitive prices and with a full discourse and commentary and 2) Hotel Al can pick you up from the airport. The airport is located a good distance away from the French Quarter. Hotel Al will look at everyones schedule and while you may have to wait a little bit for his van to fill up he will take you to the hotel for the same price as the shuttle buses, but he takes you directly there without any stops, so you get there faster.
As for tours and things to do during the free time during the day the next email will have some details about those.
Ron & Belinda Beyer are the co-hosts for the Reunion planning and have made the entire process of putting the reunion portion of this gathering together, easy, fun and pleasant.
What we have planned for the weeks evenings is this: Everyone arrives on Wednesday afternoon or evening. We will gather in out hospitality room in the Hotel (which we have to ourselves for the whole week). We will have snacks, sandwiches, cold cuts, fixings, chips, etc. and beverages catered in so that we can just stay there, looking at photo albums, watching slide shows, chatting with each other, catching up on what everyone has been doing and greeting newcomers without having to leave the room.
On Thursday night we have planned a dinner evening at a local New Orleans Cajun dance and dine place. We can eat and then learn how to dance Cajun style to Zydeco music. The four of us Ron, Belinda, Kim and I all, did this and had a great time.
On Friday night we have planned a progressive dinner. Lisa Thompson of the Hotel Monteleone suggested this and is making the contacts for arrangement. We will go to a nearby restaurant, bar, pub, watering hole or some such place to begin our evening with cocktails, then on to another place for soup/salad, then on to another place for dinner, then to another place for desert and then back to the Hotel Monteleone for after dinner drinks. We have a surprise in store for you concerning a portion of this evening.
On Saturday evening is the wedding.
On Sunday morning is the farewell breakfast.
Well, much more to come in the next email. But until then all our best for the holidays!
Mark (Babysan) and Kim
The Hotel Mo
New Orleans, La. 70130
Here are direct lines to the Hotel Monteleone Reservation systems.